The Covetous Headsman
Barbara Shelley - Valerie North
Eugene Deckers - Inspector Quercy
George Pastell - George Olivant
Esmond Knight - Antoine Louvois
Robert Cawdron - Seargent Luduc
Carole Gray - Josie Claval
Josephine Browne - Madame Duras
Michael Spear - Kaplan
Andre Boulay - Mario
Natalie Benesch - Matron
Barbara Roscoe - Air Hostess
Directed by Michael Truman; Screenplay by John Roddick (pdf Screenplay on network DVD)
Simon sits in a plane from New York to Paris next to Valerie North. She was separated from her brother in WWII. 20 years later she has placed an advertisement in a French newspaper. And this time she has found him! But after arriving in Paris she learns that he was killed recently.
In her hotel there's an attempt to rob Valerie. The gangsters want her Saint Christopher pendant.
Which role does George Olivant play in this scheme, who claims to be a friend of Valerie's father?
* George Pastell also appears in Episodes #72 "The Queen's Ransom", #97 "When Spring is Sprung" and #113/114 "Vendetta for the Saint"
* George Pastell plays the Orient Express train conductor in "From Russia With Love" (1963)
* Robert Cawdron also appears in Episodes #19 "The Work of Art", #42 "Jeannine", #64 "The Abductors" and #90 "To Kill A Saint" (all: same role)
* Andre Boulay also appears in Episode #15 "Judith"
* The character of Inspector Quercy appears several times in the series although played almost every time by a different actor. It's Eugene Deckers in Episode #4 "The Covetous Headsman", Manning Wilson in #19 "The Work of Art" and #42 "Jeannine" and John Serret in # 64 "The Abductors" and #90 "To Kill A Saint"
* Strangely enough Valerie North seems not very moved by her long lost brother's death - she even goes to a bar with the Saint!
* If the photo was found on Valerie's dead brother's body why is the picture not damaged by water at all? (0:07)
* This shot does not fit to the closeups of Valerie North - during the fight you can see that she tries to make a telephone call. (0:17)
* Coincidence? Check the name of the bar in the background - Le Saint (Jean) (0:20)
Simon is happy that this woman will not sit near him for the next seven hours (ca. 0:01).
UK: 25th October 1962
* DVD (PAL): Carlton 37115 00933 (2001)
* DVD (PAL): Umbrella DAVID0246 (2003)
Last Updated: 17/04/2016