The Element of Doubt
David Bauer - Carlton Rood
Alan Gifford - Inspector Fernack
Margaret Vines - Agnes Yarrow
Bill Nagy - Joe Sholto
Ken Wayne - Gilroy
Anita West - Mary Hammond
Robert O'Neil - Willis Burnham
Stella Bonheur - Miss Donaldson
Graydon Gould - Stan Johnson
Basil Howes - Judge
Alistair Williamson - Dibs Brown
John Bloomfield - Court Clerk
Sarah Brackett - Nurse
Victor Chenet - Jury Foreman
Directed by John Ainsworth; Screenplay by Norman Borisoff (2 pdf Screenplays on network DVD)
Cleaning woman Agnes Yarrow is badly hurt when Joe Sholto burns down one of his warehouses to cash in the insurance. But Yarrow can identify Sholto. In the following trial Sholto's defendant is Carlton Rood who uses dirty tricks. Yarrow's testimony is taken apart by Rood - Sholto gets away. Now is the time for the Saint to set things right.
OPINION: Although the Saint doesn't appear almost for 2 thirds of the episode it's well written with sharp dialogues.
* David Bauer also appears in Episodes #15 "Judith", #20 "Iris", #38 "The Ever-Loving Spouse" and #93 "Island of Chance"
* Alan Gifford also appears in Episode #3 "The Careful Tourist" (same role)
* Bill Nagy also appears in Episodes #2 "The Latin Touch" and #33 "The Good Medicine"
* Bill Nagy is one of the gangsters in "Goldfinger" and also had a role in "You'll Only Live Twice"
* Stella Bonheur also appears in Episode #10 "The Golden Journey"
* John Bloomfield also appears in Episodes #38 "The Ever-Loving Spouse" and #51 "The Unkind Philanthropist"
* Sarah Brackett also appears in Episode #51 "The Unkind Philanthropist"
* It's a gripping moment when Agnes Yarrow takes the bible (0:27).
* "If you want to get out of here alive, shut up" No wonder Agnes Yarrow has such problems identifying Sholto's voice: It's always actor Bill Nagy's voice! (0:29).
* One of the rare instances that we can see the Saint in disguise - as writer Tom Simmons, complete with an american accent (0:32).
* The subheadlines for both newspapers are almost the same (0:00 and 0:47).
* What happens to the fake tape that must be still in Sholto's office? Won't the police find it during their investigations?
* You can listen to the isolated music & audio track of this episode on the Umbrella DVD release.
UK: 22nd November 1962
S.T. und das Labyrinth der Stimmen
* DVD (PAL): Carlton 37115 01093 (2001)
* DVD (PAL): Umbrella DAVID0247 (2003)
Last Updated: 05/22/2016