The Careful Terrorist
David Kossoff - Herman
Peter Dyneley - Nat Grendel
Percy Herbert - Hoppy
Allan Gifford - Inspector Fernack
Sally Bazeley - Jenny Hallam
Gary Cockrell - Lester Boyd
Robert Ayres - Clinton
Nicholas Stuart - Dr. Grant
Dorinda Stevens - Verna
George Sperdakos - Ricci
Jared Allen - Telephone repair man
Clay Johns - Floor manager
Directed by John Ainsworth; Screenplay by Gerald Kelsey & Dick Sharples (2 pdf Screenplays on network DVD)
New York: TV journalist Lester Boyd is killed by a bomb after he explains in his show that he will reveal the dirty machinations of union leader Nat Grendel. The Saint takes over where Boyd left off - as a reporter! In the next show Simon accuses Grendel and declares that he has all of Boyd's informations about him. He's now Grendel's next target. Two bombs are placed in Simon's flat - and he finds only one...
OPINION: In several places the episode appears somehow "unpolished" (i.e. the actors don't act convincingly).
* Peter Dyneley also appears in Episodes #26 "The Bunco Artists" and #90 "To Kill A Saint"
* Percy Herbert also appears in Episode #59 "The Frightened Inn-Keeper"
* Alan Gifford also appears in Episode #8 "The Element of Doubt" (same role)
* Gary Cockrell also appears in Episode #27 "The Benevolent Burglary"
* Nicholas Stuart also appears in Episodes #25 "The Sporting Chance" and #60 "Sibao"
* Robert Ayres also appears in Episode #73 "Interlude in Venice"
* Notice the ticking sound beginning shortly before the first bomb explodes (ca. 0:06).
* The explosion starts right in front of the window - not at the typewriter (0:08).
* The shadow of the microphone is visible in both scenes (0:17 and 0:43).
* If Jenny Hallam got shot in the shoulder why is there no hole or blood on her coat? (0:21).
* The Saint puts the telephone on the TV set... still the same insert shot as before (just mirrored) is shown with the telephone on the table. (0:45)
"Lester Boyd might've cut you down to size, but you had him blown to bits."
UK: 18th October 1962
* DVD (PAL): Carlton 37115 00933 (2001)
* DVD (PAL): Umbrella DAVID0246 (2003)
Last Updated: 02/03/2018