The Elusive Ellshaw
Angela Browne - Anne Ripwell
Richard Vernon - Sir John Ripwell
Ellen McIntosh - Mrs. Ellshaw
Philip Latham - Ellshaw
Anthony Bate - Martin Irelock
Walter Brown - Hugo Meyer
Philip Bond - Kenneth Ripwell
Norman Pitt - Teal
Arthur Hewlett - Gunsmith
James Ottaway - Dr. Cranston
Nicholas Pennell - Young Cop
Directed by John
Moxey; Screenplay by Harry W. Junkin
Adapted from the original story by Leslie Charteris
While the Saint and Anne Ripwell are in a weapon shop, Mrs. Ellshaw, one of the employees (and former secretary to Anne's father Sir John), runs out of the store and follows a man who had looked into the window. She later tells Templar and Anne that she saw her husband who had disappeared half a year ago. When Simon and Anne search the abandoned house where Mrs. Ellshaw had followed her husband they find it empty. The Saint is sceptic about Mrs. Ellshaw's story at first - but later that evening someone murders her.
Simon learns from inspector Teal that there was a murder attempt on Sir John the same week. How are the two events connected? The Saint tries to find out at the weekend in Sir John's country house...
* Norman Pitt is the last actor to portray Chief Inspector Teal before Ivor Dean takes over. Read more on the cast page.
* Philip Latham also appears in Episode #43 "The Scorpion"
* Anthony Bate also appears in Episodes #49 "The Imprudent Politician" and #107 "The House on Dragon's Rock"
* Walter Brown also appears in Episodes #58 "The Golden Frog" and #65 "The Crooked Ring"
* Nicholas Pennell also appears in Episode #45 "The Saint Steps In"
* A small piece of white paper sticks in the top of the second to rightmost bottle, in the next scene it's gone (0:03 and 0:04). [Submitted by Vivian].
* Why does Ellshaw even come near the shop where his wife is working? According to the dates given in the episode he should have known where she works...
* You can see the shadow of actor Philip Latham on the studio wall background. (0:44)
UK: 17th October 1963
* DVD (PAL): Umbrella DAVID0499 (2003)
Last Updated: 07/01/2017