The Saint Steps In
Geoffrey Keen - Hobart Quennel
Justine Lord - Andrea Quennel
Peter Vaughan - Walter Devan
Moultrie Kelsall - Calvin Gray
Annette André - Madeline Gray
Neil McCarthy - Morgen
Michael Robbins - Smith
Edward Bishop - Cy Imberline
Nicholas Pennell - Intelligent Undergraduate
David Jackson - Husky Undergraduate
Robert Bruce - Det. Insp. Malloy
Directed by John Gilling; Screenplay by John Kruse
The Saint is at a hotel bar in London when a beautiful lady asks him for help. Madeline Gray has an appointment with tycoon Quennel about her father's new invention called 'Process G'. It will revolutionize the world market for synthetic fibers. But two thugs try to prevent that meeting. Soon after both the scientist and his daughter are kidnapped. Who's behind all this?
OPINION: John Kruse delivers some witty and pointed dialogue. The beginning with the two undergraduates is especially funny because it mocks a lot of other episodes.
* Geoffrey Keen would later appear as Minister of Defence in the Bond movies
* Justine Lord also appears in Episodes #23 "The Saint Plays With Fire", #26 "The Bunco Artists", #49 "The Imprudent Politician", #63 "The Chequered Flag" and #109/110 "The Fiction Makers"
* Moultrie Kelsall also appears in Episode #77 "The Convenient Monster"
* Annette André also appears in Episodes #46 "The Loving Brothers", #64 "The Abductors", #90 "To Kill A Saint" and #107 "The House on Dragon's Rock"
* Neil McCarthy also appears in Episode #63 "The Chequered Flag"
* Michael Robbins also appears in Episodes #104 "The Double Take" and #111 "The People Importers"
* Edward Bishop also appears in Episodes #44 "The Revolution Racket", #69 "The Saint Bids Diamonds" and #79 "The Man Who Liked Lions"
* Edward Bishop was later a regular of the series "UFO"
* Nicholas Pennell also appears in Episode #17 "The Elusive Ellshaw"
* David Jackson also appears in Episode #70 "The Spanish Cow"
* The set for Professor Gray's house... ... was also used in Episode #40 "The Miracle Tea Party" as Aunt Hattie's house.
* The gun is pulled away by a string (0:22).
* The location of the bullet holes can be seen in the table before Smith shoots at it. Of course the holes were prepared before the film shooting and small charges simulated the pistol shots (0:23).
* You can see the shadow of the microphone on a pole swing in quite clearly (0:29).
* Shapes of things to come? Roger Moore uses a newspaper with the name of a famous character... (0:42) [Submitted by Wojciech Trojanowski]
* You can listen to the isolated music & audio track of this episode on the Umbrella DVD release.
Annette André about her first day on "The Saint": <<Yes, I remember it very vividly because John Gilling was not very nice to me. [...] It was a bit hard on me, because already you had the pressure on you of being told to do everything in one take. (Laughs.) I wasn't really used to working that way and my first scene was very wordy. [The scene in the hotel.] [...] I got very scared and was standing there waiting for the take when Roger walked up to me, took my hand and said, 'Don't let him bother you. He's like that with all actresses.' He said, 'Hold my hand. Everything will be fine,' and literally took me through the whole episode, which was wonderful. He was very attentive and sweet and we became good friends.>> (Simper, p.73)
Andrea: "My, but you're big and strong!" Simon: "Actually it's the tailor. And I came from a long line of pygmies."
UK: 12th November 1964
* VHS (PAL): ITC 1041 (1992)
* DVD (PAL): Umbrella DAVID0503 (2003)
Last Updated: 07/24/2017