The Convenient Monster
Suzan Farmer - Ann Clanraith
Laurence Payne - Noel Bastion
Caroline Blakiston - Eleanor Bastion
Moultry Kelsall - Fergus Clanraith
Fulton Mackay - Willie
William Holmes - Angus McGraw
Michael Graham - First Reporter
Harry Littlewood - Second Reporter
Directed by Leslie Norman; Screenplay by Terence Feeley
Simon is visiting Scotland near Loch Ness. When he suddenly he hears a girl screaming he's drawn into a mysterious story about the Loch Ness monster. Ann Clanraith has found the mangled corpse of the Bastion's hound. She's working for author Noel Bastion. His wife Eleanor firmly believes in the existence of the monster. The Saint is sceptic. He questions tramp Willie who seems to know more. Soon after Willie is found dead - horribly mutilated...
OPINION: This is the episode which got me hooked on "The Saint" and is still one of my favourite episodes. It has all important ingredients - and is rather creepy too! The mysterious end is great too.
* Fulton Mackay also appears in Episodes #99 "The Best Laid Schemes" and #113/114 "Vendetta for the Saint"
* Suzan Farmer also appears in Episodes #2 "The Latin Touch", #57 "The Sign of the Claw" and #102 "The Desperate Diplomat"
* Moultry Kelsall also appears in Episode #45 "The Saint Steps In"
* Michael Graham also appears in Episode #86 "The Persistent Patriots"
* Harry Littlewood also appears in Episode #117 "Portrait of Brenda"
* You have to love them for all those beautiful studio sceneries. The change between location and studio is rather visible though. (0:00)
* The ferry footage was later used in Episode #98 "The Gadic Collection". It may come from director Freddie Francis' 'archive'. (Simper, p.55) (0:01)
* Some strange sounds while driving a car...! Maybe someone walking over the soundstage? (0:06)
* Take a close look at the beam of the flashlight - it doesn't originate from the flashlight because the real beam is probably too weak. (0:38)
UK: 4th November 1966
Das Ungeheuer von Loch Ness
* VHS (PAL): ITC 1038 (1991)
* DVD (NTSC): AAE-70230 (2001)
Last Updated: 02/15/2003