A Double in Diamonds
Cecil Parker - Lord Gillingham
Anton Rodgers - Pierre
Yolande Turner - Kate
Ilona Rodgers - Mary
Ferdy Mayne - Nicholas
Howard Goorney - Mercier
Jack Woolgar - Charlie Hallowes
The Graham Twins (Dora and Doris) - Valerie and Veronica
John Clive - Garton
Yvette Herries - Michelle
Tim Barrett - The Steward
Alan Haywood - Sgt. Knox
Pauline Clifford - The Commentator
Brian Harrison - The Pilot
Directed by John Gilling; Screenplay by Harry W. Junkin, Donald and Derek Ford
Simon is at a jeweler to buy some new cuff-links. He learns there that the jeweler is making a replica of Lord Gillingham's famous necklace.
Simon later attends a fashion show at Gillingham's house. Suddenly the necklace mysteriously disappears.
The Saint travels to Brussels with Gillingham's daughter because the thieves want to exchange the necklace for money. Or is that not the real story?
OPINION: All in all it's a bit confusing to keep track of the story - but it's a fun episode nevertheless!
* Cecil Parker already played opposite the Saint: 25 years earlier in the 1942 film "The Saint's Vacation"
* Ferdy Mayne also appears in Episode #20 "Iris", #28 "The Wonderful War" and #84 "Flight Plan"
* Yolanda Turner also appears in Episode #19 "The Work of Art"
* Tim Barrett also appears in Episode #63 "The Chequered Flag"
* Alan Haywood also appears in Episode #96 "The Power Artists" (same role)
* Brian Harrison also appears in Episode #102 "The Desperate Diplomat"
* It's a classic Inspector Teal episode - peppermints and all!
* The dresses for the fashion parade were provided by fashion designer Norman Hartnell who also worked for the Royal Family. More about him on Wikipedia.
* Note the cuff-links - a dream of every SAINT fan! (0:01)
* Note the stand-in for Roger at the fashion show and in front of Lord Gillingham's house.
* Why does Ben the dealer tell the whole story about the deal with Lord Gillingham to Simon?
* The falseness of the plane cockpit reminds me of "Plan 9 from Outer Space". ;) (0:29)
* The same song was used in Episode #85 "Escape Route" (0:07) and in Episode #95 "A Double in Diamonds" but with different vocals. Even the following track "played" by the band is the same (0:38).
* Uncredited, but here is another appearance of Ray Austin. (0:40) [Submitted by Wojciech Trojanowski]
* There's a reflection of a person in the car's window. (0:42) [Submitted by Wojciech Trojanowski]
* Ben's shop could be the same as the pawnbroker's one in Episode #76 "The Helpful Pirate".
* The double doors were frequently used as a set item in the colour episodes.
UK: 5th May 1967
S.T. und der Diamantentrick
* DVD (NTSC): AAE-70352 (2001)
Last Updated: 02/24/2018